-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Felix Andrews
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:21 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [R-sig-eco] ecology or environmetrics?

Hi all,

Can I suggest broadening the scope of this SIG to include
environmental research in general (e.g. hydrology), including ecology?
This is sometimes called Environmetrics. That would correspond roughly
to the CRAN Task View "Analysis of Ecological and Environmental Data".
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html

Regards,
Felix

--
Felix Andrews / 安福立
PhD candidate

Re: ecology or environmetrics?

Jeff Hollister
Felix,

Thanks for the suggestion and I agree completely.

I take a very broad view when defining ecology (i.e. biotic and abiotic
interactions), and with that the use of R in hydrology, climate, land
use change, etc. are all valid topics of discussion for this list.  As
such, my definition of what R-sig-ecology should encompass is right in
line with what you suggest.  Sara and I have not yet had a chance to
pull together a description for the list, but we will be sure to make it
as inclusive as possible.  We will take a look at the CRAN task view and
make sure our description is in line with that.  That description will
appear on the R-sig-ecology main page so all who sign up will see it.

Lastly, since this is a dynamic list (~330 members is less than 24
hours) what it eventually becomes will be defined more by suggestions
such as yours and less by my original ideas.  Thanks again!

Cheers,
Jeff

***************************
Dr. Jeffrey W. Hollister
US EPA
Atlantic Ecology Division
27 Tarzwell Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 782-9655
***************************

             "Felix Andrews"
             <[hidden email]
             Sent by:                 [hidden email]
             r-sig-ecology-bo                                        cc
             unces@r-project.
             org                                                Subject
                                      [R-sig-eco] ecology or
                                      environmetrics?
             04/17/2008 01:20
             AM

Hi all,

Can I suggest broadening the scope of this SIG to include
environmental research in general (e.g. hydrology), including ecology?
This is sometimes called Environmetrics. That would correspond roughly
to the CRAN Task View "Analysis of Ecological and Environmental Data".
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html

Regards,
Felix

--
Felix Andrews / 安福立
PhD candidate
Integrated Catchment Assessment and Management Centre
The Fenner School of Environment and Society
The Australian National University (Building 48A), ACT 0200
Beijing Bag, Locked Bag 40, Kingston ACT 2604
http://www.neurofractal.org/felix/
3358 543D AAC6 22C2 D336 80D9 360B 72DD 3E4C F5D8

Re: ecology or environmetrics?

Gavin Simpson
On Apr 17 2008, Felix Andrews wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can I suggest broadening the scope of this SIG to include
> environmental research in general (e.g. hydrology), including ecology?
> This is sometimes called Environmetrics. That would correspond roughly
> to the CRAN Task View "Analysis of Ecological and Environmental Data".
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html
>
> Regards,
> Felix

Hi Felix,

I'd be very supportive of this suggestion too.

As the author and maintainer of the Environmetrics Task View, I'd be very
happy to receive comments, suggestions for improvments, additions etc. from
the members of this SIG.

All the best,

Gavin

Re: ecology or environmetrics?

Mark Andersen
I'm in favor of this suggestion as well.

There are two things I find frustrating about the general R-help list:

1) Much of the high volume of traffic on that list exists because of the
shortcomings (or at best uneven quality) of the available documentation,
especially for contributed packages. (The R core documentation is mostly
pretty good, although it seems poorly organized at times.)

2) It seems to that, for many of those posting on R-help, statistical
computing is an end in itself. For me, and I hope for this list in general,
it is a means to an end, the end being good data analysis that provides
scientific insight.

I'm hoping that this list can avoid those sources of frustration.

Regards,
Mark A.

Dr. Mark C. Andersen, Professor
Department of Fishery and Wildlife Sciences
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces NM 88003-0003
phone: 575-646-8034
fax: 575-646-1281

Re: ecology or environmetrics?

Ben Bolker-2
Mark Andersen wrote:
> I'm in favor of this suggestion as well.
>
> There are two things I find frustrating about the general R-help list:
>
> 1) Much of the high volume of traffic on that list exists because of the
> shortcomings (or at best uneven quality) of the available documentation,
> especially for contributed packages. (The R core documentation is mostly
> pretty good, although it seems poorly organized at times.)

   [snip]

> I'm hoping that this list can avoid those sources of frustration.
>
> Regards,
> Mark A.

   I'm not really sure how restricting the topic to
ecology/environmetrics is going to remove that source of
frustration ... there will certainly be lower traffic because
it's a subset of the people, though ...

   Ben Bolker

Re: ecology or environmetrics?

Suhel Quader
Dear all,

Excellent! And while we're broadening out, perhaps we can include
two other subjects that are sometimes subsumed under Ecology, or at
least are closely interwoven with it:

Evolution: for example, phylogenetics and comparative analyses

Behaviour: for example, the analysis of behavioural transition
matrices or the analysis of social network dynamics

Many thanks to Jeff and Sarah for starting this SIG!

Best wishes,
Suhel

Suhel Quader, PhD
National Centre for Biological Sciences
Bangalore, India
(t) +91-80-23666339
(w) www.ncbs.res.in/~suhel/
(e) [hidden email]

On Thu, April 17, 2008 17:52, Gavin Simpson wrote:

> On Apr 17 2008, Felix Andrews wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can I suggest broadening the scope of this SIG to include
>> environmental research in general (e.g. hydrology), including
>> ecology?
>> This is sometimes called Environmetrics. That would correspond
>> roughly
>> to the CRAN Task View "Analysis of Ecological and Environmental
>> Data".
>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Felix
>
> Hi Felix,
>
> I'd be very supportive of this suggestion too.
>
> As the author and maintainer of the Environmetrics Task View, I'd be
> very
> happy to receive comments, suggestions for improvments, additions
> etc. from
> the members of this SIG.
>
> All the best,
>
> Gavin

Suhel Quader, PhD
Editor, Forktail (the Journal of Asian Ornithology)
(w) www.orientalbirdclub.org/publications/forktail/

National Centre for Biological Sciences
Bangalore, India
(t) +91-80-23666339
(w) www.ncbs.res.in/~suhel/
(e) [hidden email]

Re: ecology or environmetrics?

Ben Bolker

~  There is already an [hidden email] for
phylogenetics/comparative analysis (fairly active,
including big guns like Ted Garland and Joe
Felsenstein (!))

~  Ben

Suhel Quader wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| Excellent! And while we're broadening out, perhaps we can include
| two other subjects that are sometimes subsumed under Ecology, or at
| least are closely interwoven with it:
|
| Evolution: for example, phylogenetics and comparative analyses
|
| Behaviour: for example, the analysis of behavioural transition
| matrices or the analysis of social network dynamics
|
| Many thanks to Jeff and Sarah for starting this SIG!
|
| Best wishes,
| Suhel
|

| Suhel Quader, PhD
| National Centre for Biological Sciences
| Bangalore, India
| (t) +91-80-23666339
| (w) www.ncbs.res.in/~suhel/
| (e) [hidden email]
|

| On Thu, April 17, 2008 17:52, Gavin Simpson wrote:
|> On Apr 17 2008, Felix Andrews wrote:
|>> Hi all,
|>>
|>> Can I suggest broadening the scope of this SIG to include
|>> environmental research in general (e.g. hydrology), including
|>> ecology?
|>> This is sometimes called Environmetrics. That would correspond
|>> roughly
|>> to the CRAN Task View "Analysis of Ecological and Environmental
|>> Data".
|>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html
|>>
|>> Regards,
|>> Felix
|> Hi Felix,
|>
|> I'd be very supportive of this suggestion too.
|>
|> As the author and maintainer of the Environmetrics Task View, I'd be
|> very
|> happy to receive comments, suggestions for improvments, additions
|> etc. from
|> the members of this SIG.
|>
|> All the best,
|>
|> Gavin

| Suhel Quader, PhD
| Editor, Forktail (the Journal of Asian Ornithology)
| (w) www.orientalbirdclub.org/publications/forktail/
|
| National Centre for Biological Sciences
| Bangalore, India
| (t) +91-80-23666339
| (w) www.ncbs.res.in/~suhel/
| (e) [hidden email]

Re: ecology or environmetrics?

Suhel Quader
Yes, of course! My mistake for not checking on this first.

Thanks for the correction, Ben.

Suhel

On Fri, April 18, 2008 19:57, Ben Bolker wrote:

> ~  There is already an [hidden email] for
> phylogenetics/comparative analysis (fairly active,
> including big guns like Ted Garland and Joe
> Felsenstein (!))
>
> ~  Ben
>
> Suhel Quader wrote:
> | Dear all,
> |
> | Excellent! And while we're broadening out, perhaps we can include
> | two other subjects that are sometimes subsumed under Ecology, or
> at
> | least are closely interwoven with it:
> |
> | Evolution: for example, phylogenetics and comparative analyses
> |
> | Behaviour: for example, the analysis of behavioural transition
> | matrices or the analysis of social network dynamics
> |
> | Many thanks to Jeff and Sarah for starting this SIG!
> |
> | Best wishes,
> | Suhel
> |

> | Suhel Quader, PhD
> | National Centre for Biological Sciences
> | Bangalore, India
> | (t) +91-80-23666339
> | (w) www.ncbs.res.in/~suhel/
> | (e) [hidden email]

> |> Hi Felix,
> |>
> |> I'd be very supportive of this suggestion too.
> |>
> |> As the author and maintainer of the Environmetrics Task View, I'd
> be
> |> very
> |> happy to receive comments, suggestions for improvments, additions
> |> etc. from
> |> the members of this SIG.
> |>
> |> All the best,
> |>
> |> Gavin

> | Suhel Quader, PhD
> | Editor, Forktail (the Journal of Asian Ornithology)
> | (w) www.orientalbirdclub.org/publications/forktail/
> |
> | National Centre for Biological Sciences
> | Bangalore, India
> | (t) +91-80-23666339
> | (w) www.ncbs.res.in/~suhel/
> | (e) [hidden email]

Re: ecology or environmetrics?

Jeff Hollister
All,

Thanks for the good discussion on what we should and should not include
in our discussions on the list.  I think the best way forward is to
think of this list as the discussion side of the Environmetrics Task
View (http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html),  much
like R-SIG-Geo is the discussion list linked to the Spatial Task view.
Gavin has done a great job of listing many of the analytical approaches
and packages that can be used in the analysis of ecological and
environmental data.  This, I think, should be our starting point for
what R-sig-ecology is all about and that will (eventually) be made
evident in the SIG description.

I certainly do not want reject questions on related topics (spatial data
analysis, phylogentics, bioinformatics, etc.), but it would be up to the
poster to do some homework prior to posting to realize that, while
related, R-sig-ecology is not the best place for those questions as
other lists exist for those specific disciplines.

Cheers,
Jeff

Dr. Jeffrey W. Hollister
US EPA