extent of graphic image in graph pane

Michael Marsh

I've been using mvpart with graphic output (a tree displaying env. data
governing splits), augmented by rpart.pca, to explore environmental
relations of vegetation data on my old Toshiba satellite computer with R
version 2.15.0 (x32).
I've loaded R version 3.3.3 (x64) on a Surface Book.
Graphic images on the old computer appeared to extend to the limits of
the graphic pane, but with the identical script in R 3.3.3, they are
confined to the upper left corner of the pane as if the pane was ready
to accept 3 more images of the same size. This makes it difficult to
copy and paste a usable sized image into a Word document
I have searched the graphics chapter of R-Intro without success.

Re: extent of graphic image in graph pane

Glen Sargeant
In your shoes, I might suspect that I changed default settings for
graphical parameters.  They are very easy to check and change.

The first two I would check are "mfrow" and "plt."

If you want just one plot on your output device, you should see this...

> par("mfrow")
[1] 1 1

... and values somewhat close to these:

> par("plt")
[1] 0.07819868 0.95994702 0.14866397 0.88048583

For a help file that lists and describes all of the graphical parameters:

> ?plt

Good luck!

Glen

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Michael Marsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been using mvpart with graphic output (a tree displaying env. data
> governing splits), augmented by rpart.pca, to explore environmental
> relations of vegetation data on my old Toshiba satellite computer with R
> version 2.15.0 (x32).
> I've loaded R version 3.3.3 (x64) on a Surface Book.
> Graphic images on the old computer appeared to extend to the limits of the
> graphic pane, but with the identical script in R 3.3.3, they are confined
> to the upper left corner of the pane as if the pane was ready to accept 3
> more images of the same size. This makes it difficult to copy and paste a
> usable sized image into a Word document
> I have searched the graphics chapter of R-Intro without success.

Glen Sargeant, Ph.D.
Research Wildlife Biologist/Statistician
USGS Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
E-mail: [hidden email]
Phone: (701) 253-5528

Glen Sargeant
Research Wildlife Biologist