"Ecology" or "Environmental sciences?"

Glen Sargeant
One thing I have gained from R is a deep appreciation for long-range
strategic thinking about the development of software and user communities.
 So, rather than simply inviting everyone into a "big tent," I think we
should first take a look at the tent itself and perhaps consider some
zoning regulations!

It seems to me that the developers and participants are moving toward an
"Environmental Sciences" or "Natural sciences" list and not an "Ecology"
list.  I don't see anything wrong with that, but I foresee the future
spin-off of a list populated by ecologists.  The name of this list should
accurately describe the contents: if coverage is broad, we should adopt a
more inclusive name and cede the term "Ecology" for future use by
ecologists.

Glen

Glen A. Sargeant, Ph.D.
Research Wildlife Biologist/Statistician
Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
8711 37th Street SE
Jamestown, ND  58401

Phone: (701) 253-5528
E-mail:  [hidden email]
FAX:     (701) 253-5553

Glen Sargeant
Research Wildlife Biologist

Re: "Ecology" or "Environmental sciences?"

Felix Andrews
Speaking of "zoning regulations"...

Another thing to be aware of is the R-sig-geo, on "using Geographical
data and Mapping". Obviously a lot of environmental science involves
spatial data and analysis, so there is some overlap with that group. I
suppose R-SIG-Geo would be the place for technical questions on
spatial methods, while R-sig-ecology / R-sig-enviro (?) would field
more scientific discussions, as well as non-spatial methodology
questions.

Felix

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Glen A Sargeant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing I have gained from R is a deep appreciation for long-range
>  strategic thinking about the development of software and user communities.
>   So, rather than simply inviting everyone into a "big tent," I think we
>  should first take a look at the tent itself and perhaps consider some
>  zoning regulations!
>
>  It seems to me that the developers and participants are moving toward an
>  "Environmental Sciences" or "Natural sciences" list and not an "Ecology"
>  list.  I don't see anything wrong with that, but I foresee the future
>  spin-off of a list populated by ecologists.  The name of this list should
>  accurately describe the contents: if coverage is broad, we should adopt a
>  more inclusive name and cede the term "Ecology" for future use by
>  ecologists.
>
>  Glen
>
>  *************************************************
>  Glen A. Sargeant, Ph.D.
>  Research Wildlife Biologist/Statistician
>  Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
>  8711 37th Street SE
>  Jamestown, ND  58401
>
>  Phone: (701) 253-5528
>  E-mail:  [hidden email]
>  FAX:     (701) 253-5553

Felix Andrews / 安福立
PhD candidate
Integrated Catchment Assessment and Management Centre
The Fenner School of Environment and Society
The Australian National University (Building 48A), ACT 0200
Beijing Bag, Locked Bag 40, Kingston ACT 2604
http://www.neurofractal.org/felix/
3358 543D AAC6 22C2 D336  80D9 360B 72DD 3E4C F5D8