Quantcast

script editor

kirchner-2
Does anyone have a recommendation for an R script editor that can be run on
a pc?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Kirchner, Graduate Research Scientist
Sierra Nevada Research Institute
University of California, Merced
[hidden email], (209) 834-7628

Re: script editor

Jeff Hollister
Peter,

I use Tinn-R.

Available at http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/

Cheers,
JEff

***************************
Dr. Jeffrey W. Hollister
US EPA
Atlantic Ecology Division
27 Tarzwell Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 782-9655
***************************

Does anyone have a recommendation for an R script editor that can be run on
a pc?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Kirchner, Graduate Research Scientist
Sierra Nevada Research Institute
University of California, Merced
[hidden email], (209) 834-7628

Re: script editor

Alberto Murta
Emacs, of course, especially the modified version distributed by Vincent
Goulet:

http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 8:41 am, kirchner wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation for an R script editor that can be run on
> a pc?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Peter

> Peter Kirchner, Graduate Research Scientist
> Sierra Nevada Research Institute
> University of California, Merced
> [hidden email], (209) 834-7628
>

> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

 Alberto G. Murta
IPIMAR - National Institute of Fisheries and Marine Research
Avenida de Brasilia s/n; 1449-006 - Lisboa; Portugal
Tel: +351 213027000; Fax: +351 21 3015948; http://alb.murta.googlepages.com

Re: script editor

Gavin Simpson
On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 00:41 -0700, kirchner wrote:
> Does anyone have a recommendation for an R script editor that can be run on
> a pc?

Emacs + ESS (or XEmacs + ESS) is my editor of choice for R. As I'm on
Fedora (linux) all this is easily available from my distro's package
manager. If by 'PC' you meant MS Windows, then John Fox and Vincent
Goulet both have useful info to help you get started, both a linked to
from the ESS web site:

http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/

HTH

%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%
 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522
 ECRC, UCL Geography,          [f] +44 (0)20 7679 0565
 Pearson Building,             [e] gavin.simpsonATNOSPAMucl.ac.uk
 Gower Street, London          [w] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/
 UK. WC1E 6BT.                 [w] http://www.freshwaters.org.uk
%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%

Nice R blog

Phil Novack-Gottshall
Hi all:

I just stumbled upon this blog run by James Forester, which is focused on R tips useful to ecologists, and wanted to pass it along.

http://quantitative-ecology.blogspot.com/

The sidebar lists some other R blogs, most not dedicated to ecology.  If you know of (or run) other ecological R tips sites, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Cheers,
Phil

  Phil Novack-Gottshall                        [hidden email]

  Assistant Professor
  Department of Geosciences
  University of West Georgia
  Carrollton, GA 30118-3100
  Phone: 678-839-4061
  Fax: 678-839-4071
  http://www.westga.edu/~pnovackg

Re: script editor

Dave Hewitt
> Does anyone have a recommendation for an R script editor that can be run on
> a pc?

I also like Tinn-R. It's simple and easy to use. Just in case this will save you
a bit of frustration, be sure to install R in SDI mode (choose custom
installation in the Install Wizard to get the option). The default is MDI mode
and Sci-Views says new Tinn-R versions don't play well with R. I've never tried
it, so I don't know what happens if you use MDI mode.

One handy feature of Tinn-R (and probably other editors) is that you can click
the R-> icon on the upper right to launch R. That passes your current working
directory to R when it loads up, so you never need full path names in data read
statements. Just put the .R script and the data in the same directory, open
Tinn-R by double-clicking the .R script, and then launch R from Tinn-R.

Re: Script editor

Darrin Moore
I really like the SciViews R Console with R. It uses a version of Tinn
as an editor.
Just Google "SciViews".

Darrin

|O=00=O||O=00=O||O=00=O||O=00=O||O=00=O||O=00=O|

Darrin J. Moore
Department of Ecosystem Science and Management
Texas A&M University, 2138 TAMU
College Station, TX  77843-2138
phone: (979) 845-1497
fax:   (979) 845-6430
e-mail: [hidden email]

|OO==00==OO||OO==00==OO||OO==00==OO||OO==00==OO|

Re: script editor

Thierry Onkelinx
Here's another fan of TINN-R. The TINN-R website suggests a few line of
code to add into the Rprofile file which causes TINN-R to launch as soon
as you start up R. Furthermore it has syntax highlighting that works for
brackets too (display what opening bracket corresponsed with a closing
bracket). And one can define shortcutkeys for sending code to R.

Let's say that I don't want to miss TINN-R for all R, S+, Latex, Sweave,
HTML and PHP stuff.

Cheers,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
[hidden email]
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey

> Does anyone have a recommendation for an R script editor that can be
run on
> a pc?

I also like Tinn-R. It's simple and easy to use. Just in case this will
save you
a bit of frustration, be sure to install R in SDI mode (choose custom
installation in the Install Wizard to get the option). The default is
MDI mode
and Sci-Views says new Tinn-R versions don't play well with R. I've
never tried
it, so I don't know what happens if you use MDI mode.

One handy feature of Tinn-R (and probably other editors) is that you can
click
the R-> icon on the upper right to launch R. That passes your current
working
directory to R when it loads up, so you never need full path names in
data read
statements. Just put the .R script and the data in the same directory,
open
Tinn-R by double-clicking the .R script, and then launch R from Tinn-R.

Re: script editor

Christian A. Parker
I also like Tinn-R on a windows machine.

But I have another question, Ive recently switched one of my computers
over to Ubuntu (Linux). Currently I am just using Kate+Konsole and to be
honest it works great accept for the lack a send lines command. So I was
wondering if anyone out there knew of a sendlines mod for Kate or had
some advice or knew of a tutorial for EMACS+ESS for the reluctant Tinn-R
user?

-Chris

ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:

> Here's another fan of TINN-R. The TINN-R website suggests a few line of
> code to add into the Rprofile file which causes TINN-R to launch as soon
> as you start up R. Furthermore it has syntax highlighting that works for
> brackets too (display what opening bracket corresponsed with a closing
> bracket). And one can define shortcutkeys for sending code to R.
>
> Let's say that I don't want to miss TINN-R for all R, S+, Latex, Sweave,
> HTML and PHP stuff.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thierry

> ----
> ir. Thierry Onkelinx
> Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
> and Forest
> Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
> methodology and quality assurance
> Gaverstraat 4
> 9500 Geraardsbergen
> Belgium
> tel. + 32 54/436 185
> [hidden email]
> www.inbo.be
>
> To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more
> than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
> say what the experiment died of.
> ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
>
> The plural of anecdote is not data.
> ~ Roger Brinner
>
> The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not
> ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
> data.
> ~ John Tukey

Adam Sparks-3
If you're using Kate now I'd suggest RKward.  It uses the Kate editor
and integrates with R very nicely.

regards,
Adam Sparks

Christian A. Parker wrote:

> I also like Tinn-R on a windows machine.
>
> But I have another question, Ive recently switched one of my computers
> over to Ubuntu (Linux). Currently I am just using Kate+Konsole and to be
> honest it works great accept for the lack a send lines command. So I was
> wondering if anyone out there knew of a sendlines mod for Kate or had
> some advice or knew of a tutorial for EMACS+ESS for the reluctant Tinn-R
> user?
>
> -Chris
>
> ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:
>
>> Here's another fan of TINN-R. The TINN-R website suggests a few line of
>> code to add into the Rprofile file which causes TINN-R to launch as soon
>> as you start up R. Furthermore it has syntax highlighting that works for
>> brackets too (display what opening bracket corresponsed with a closing
>> bracket). And one can define shortcutkeys for sending code to R.
>>
>> Let's say that I don't want to miss TINN-R for all R, S+, Latex, Sweave,
>> HTML and PHP stuff.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Thierry

>> ----
>> ir. Thierry Onkelinx
>> Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
>> and Forest
>> Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
>> methodology and quality assurance
>> Gaverstraat 4
>> 9500 Geraardsbergen
>> Belgium
>> tel. + 32 54/436 185
>> [hidden email]
>> www.inbo.be
>>
>> To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more
>> than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
>> say what the experiment died of.
>> ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
>>
>> The plural of anecdote is not data.
>> ~ Roger Brinner
>>
>> The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not
>> ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
>> data.
>> ~ John Tukey

Julian Burgos
I use Tinn-R.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinn-r

Julian

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 07:36 -0700, Christian A. Parker wrote:
> I also like Tinn-R on a windows machine.
>
> But I have another question, Ive recently switched one of my computers
> over to Ubuntu (Linux). Currently I am just using Kate+Konsole and to be
> honest it works great accept for the lack a send lines command. So I was
> wondering if anyone out there knew of a sendlines mod for Kate

Kate has the Pipe to console menu item, which works either by sending
the whole buffer or by sending the highlighted region. You can assign
this a shortcut under the Settings Menu > Configure Shortcuts..., find
the relevant command, click the image of the keyboard key and add in a
keyboard short cut of your choosing. Make sure you don't overwrite
anything useful - I just tried this with Alt+R.

Now you can use (e.g.) Alt+R to pipe regions or the whole buffer to the
konsole running at the bottom of the screen. Just start R in the
embedded konsole first and it is read to be piped to.

> or had
> some advice or knew of a tutorial for EMACS+ESS for the reluctant Tinn-R
> user?

Personally I use Emacs+ESS on my Fedora boxes, but I still can't
remember how to copy/paste all the time using Emacs commands... so not
the best person to be providing advice.

> -Chris
>
> ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:
> > Here's another fan of TINN-R. The TINN-R website suggests a few line of
> > code to add into the Rprofile file which causes TINN-R to launch as soon
> > as you start up R. Furthermore it has syntax highlighting that works for
> > brackets too (display what opening bracket corresponsed with a closing
> > bracket). And one can define shortcutkeys for sending code to R.
> >
> > Let's say that I don't want to miss TINN-R for all R, S+, Latex, Sweave,
> > HTML and PHP stuff.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Thierry

> > ----
> > ir. Thierry Onkelinx
> > Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
> > and Forest
> > Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
> > methodology and quality assurance
> > Gaverstraat 4
> > 9500 Geraardsbergen
> > Belgium
> > tel. + 32 54/436 185
> > [hidden email]
> > www.inbo.be
> >
> > To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more
> > than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
> > say what the experiment died of.
> > ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
> >
> > The plural of anecdote is not data.
> > ~ Roger Brinner
> >
> > The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not
> > ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
> > data.
> > ~ John Tukey

Michael Hinton
Crimson Editor
http://fs-analyse.dk/?id=2&lng=en <http://fs-analyse.dk/?id=2&lng=en>

kirchner wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation for an R script editor that can be run on
> a pc?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Peter

> Peter Kirchner, Graduate Research Scientist
> Sierra Nevada Research Institute
> University of California, Merced
> [hidden email], (209) 834-7628
>

> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: script editor -- emacs [OT]

Tyler Smith
"Christian A. Parker" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I also like Tinn-R on a windows machine.
>
> But I have another question, Ive recently switched one of my computers
> over to Ubuntu (Linux). ... So I was wondering if anyone out there ...
> had some advice or knew of a tutorial for EMACS+ESS for the reluctant
> Tinn-R user?

Emacs is a fairly complex piece of software, but one that repays the
relatively modest investment in learning to use it. What I would suggest
for beginners is:

(assuming you've already installed emacs and ess, which is easily done
in Ubuntu via apt/aptitude/synaptic, or on Windows from the links
provided on the ess website)

Start with the online emacs tutorial. You get into it by typing
Control-h t after starting emacs. This will guide you through the basics
of Emacs use. Some of it will seem very basic, other parts quite
esoteric. The main things to understand at this point are the concepts
of multiple buffers/windows/files. There are lots of keyboard shortcuts
that you can safely ignore to begin with, as you can use your arrow keys
and mouse to navigate around as you would in any other editor.

The next step is to start an R process, with Alt-x R. ESS will
automatically load for you, and you can discover the basic functionality
by playing with the menu-bar and drop-down lists.

Finally, open up an .R file and explore the menu-bar to find out how to
send code from your script to the R process. This is where it becomes
important to understand switching between different buffers as you
alternate between your script and the output it produces.

Over time, you will find that just about anything you'd want to automate
has already been done for you, so that you find yourself using the mouse
and menu-bar less and less, as keyboard shortcuts become second-nature.
Having at least browsed the emacs tutorial is important in this respect,
so that you'll have at least a faint recollection of the sorts of things
that Emacs can do for you. Eventually you'll want to read the ESS
manual, but a lot of people quite happily use Emacs/ESS without getting
much past the basic functions.

In a nutshell: don't try and learn everything at once. Start with the
very basics, and add new functions to your repertoire one at a time, as
you need them.

Despite all the complexity that is Emacs, there are only two possible
outcomes from all this. You will either experience a strong, even
visceral revulsion, or you will see the light and realize that Emacs
isn't so much a software tool as a way of life.

HTH,

Tyler

--
Support standardized open formats and control your own data -
        Reject Microsoft OOXML

http://noooxml.org

Re: script editor

Brian Knaus
Hi folks,

I currently use and enjoy emacs with ess on Ubuntu Linux.  I really
like it because it provides tool such as coloring of comments, quotes,
functions in different colors of text.  It has parentheses matching.
And it also allows for sending lines, sections or entire buffers of
commands to R for execution.  You can find info on ESS including the
previously mentioned Windows version at:

http://ess.r-project.org/

I do think it is noteworthy to point out that there are multiple
'flavors' of emacs out there which I have yet to really figure out
(e.g., emacs, xemacs).  Some of these provide the traditional (Unix)
key bindings for copy & paste, which to most Windows users will appear
confusing.  I am currently using a version of emacs which appears to
be version 22.1.1 which claims to have been 'modified by Ubuntu' which
allows ctrl-c ctrl-v copy and paste.  This makes transition from
Windows much easier.

In short, emacs is very powerful but will probably appear complicated
to new users.  There are ways around this and it is worth the effort
to learn the key bindings if you use R frequently.

--
Brian J. Knaus
Ph.D. Candidate

Quoting Gavin Simpson <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 07:36 -0700, Christian A. Parker wrote:
>> I also like Tinn-R on a windows machine.
>>
>> But I have another question, Ive recently switched one of my computers
>> over to Ubuntu (Linux). Currently I am just using Kate+Konsole and to be
>> honest it works great accept for the lack a send lines command. So I was
>> wondering if anyone out there knew of a sendlines mod for Kate
>
> Kate has the Pipe to console menu item, which works either by sending
> the whole buffer or by sending the highlighted region. You can assign
> this a shortcut under the Settings Menu > Configure Shortcuts..., find
> the relevant command, click the image of the keyboard key and add in a
> keyboard short cut of your choosing. Make sure you don't overwrite
> anything useful - I just tried this with Alt+R.
>
> Now you can use (e.g.) Alt+R to pipe regions or the whole buffer to the
> konsole running at the bottom of the screen. Just start R in the
> embedded konsole first and it is read to be piped to.
>
>> or had
>> some advice or knew of a tutorial for EMACS+ESS for the reluctant Tinn-R
>> user?
>
> Personally I use Emacs+ESS on my Fedora boxes, but I still can't
> remember how to copy/paste all the time using Emacs commands... so not
> the best person to be providing advice.

>> -Chris
>>
>> ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:
>> > Here's another fan of TINN-R. The TINN-R website suggests a few line of
>> > code to add into the Rprofile file which causes TINN-R to launch as soon
>> > as you start up R. Furthermore it has syntax highlighting that works for
>> > brackets too (display what opening bracket corresponsed with a closing
>> > bracket). And one can define shortcutkeys for sending code to R.
>> >
>> > Let's say that I don't want to miss TINN-R for all R, S+, Latex, Sweave,
>> > HTML and PHP stuff.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Thierry

>> > ----
>> > ir. Thierry Onkelinx
>> > Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
>> > and Forest
>> > Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
>> > methodology and quality assurance
>> > Gaverstraat 4
>> > 9500 Geraardsbergen
>> > Belgium
>> > tel. + 32 54/436 185
>> > [hidden email]
>> > www.inbo.be
>> >
>> > To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more
>> > than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
>> > say what the experiment died of.
>> > ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
>> >
>> > The plural of anecdote is not data.
>> > ~ Roger Brinner
>> >
>> > The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not
>> > ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
>> > data.
>> > ~ John Tukey

Re: script editor

Jarrett Byrnes
So, so far it seems like we have lots of votes for Tinn-R, a few for
Emacs, and for those on linux, Rkward looks pretty rocking.

For those of us on OSX who are using the mac interface (I'm assuming
emacs won't pipe to it) are there other good editors out there beyond
the one that comes with R.app

Oh, and a quick note that I found buried in some documentation rather
than an intuitive place: The R.app editor does allow you to pipe
selected code to the console.  Highlight it, and hit apple-enter.

-Jarrett

Re: script editor

stephen sefick
Aquamacs I just downloaded for a Mac OS X Emacs and it looks and works
pretty well.  I don't know anything about Emacs, but I am starting to write
code so this looks pretty promising.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Jarrett Byrnes <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So, so far it seems like we have lots of votes for Tinn-R, a few for
> Emacs, and for those on linux, Rkward looks pretty rocking.
>
> For those of us on OSX who are using the mac interface (I'm assuming
> emacs won't pipe to it) are there other good editors out there beyond
> the one that comes with R.app
>
> Oh, and a quick note that I found buried in some documentation rather
> than an intuitive place: The R.app editor does allow you to pipe
> selected code to the console.  Highlight it, and hit apple-enter.
>
> -Jarrett

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so
little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make us
feel like gods. We are mammals, and have not exhausted the annoying little
problems of being mammals.

-K. Mullis

Re: script editor

Alberto Murta
I have worked a lot with R on Linux (my old computer at work), FreeBSD
(my current computer at work), windows (my laptop at home) and MacOSX
(my wife's laptop). In all these platforms I've tried several editors:
emacs, gvim, kate, crimson, tinn-R, nedit, jedit, and others. All of
them are better or worse in particular points (gvim had the prettiest
syntax highlighting for R), and surely have been improving with time.
Still, the one that I found most convenient was emacs + ess,
especially because I can work exactly the same way in all operating
systems.
Cheers

Alberto

Quoting Jarrett Byrnes <[hidden email]>:

> So, so far it seems like we have lots of votes for Tinn-R, a few for
> Emacs, and for those on linux, Rkward looks pretty rocking.
>
> For those of us on OSX who are using the mac interface (I'm assuming
> emacs won't pipe to it) are there other good editors out there beyond
> the one that comes with R.app
>
> Oh, and a quick note that I found buried in some documentation rather
> than an intuitive place: The R.app editor does allow you to pipe
> selected code to the console.  Highlight it, and hit apple-enter.
>
> -Jarrett

  Alberto G. Murta
IPIMAR - National Institute for Fisheries and Marine Research
Av. Brasilia; 1449-006; Lisboa; Portugal; tel. +351 213027120
http://alb.murta.googlepages.com

Re: script editor

Simon Blomberg-4
On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 09:23 -0700, Brian Knaus wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I currently use and enjoy emacs with ess on Ubuntu Linux.  I really
> like it because it provides tool such as coloring of comments, quotes,
> functions in different colors of text.  It has parentheses matching.
> And it also allows for sending lines, sections or entire buffers of
> commands to R for execution.  You can find info on ESS including the
> previously mentioned Windows version at:
>
> http://ess.r-project.org/
>
> I do think it is noteworthy to point out that there are multiple
> 'flavors' of emacs out there which I have yet to really figure out
> (e.g., emacs, xemacs).  Some of these provide the traditional (Unix)
> key bindings for copy & paste, which to most Windows users will appear
> confusing.  I am currently using a version of emacs which appears to
> be version 22.1.1 which claims to have been 'modified by Ubuntu' which
> allows ctrl-c ctrl-v copy and paste.  This makes transition from
> Windows much easier.

I use GNU emacs 22.2.1, which is the latest release for Debian Linux. To
get C-c C-v etc., just choose the CUA option in the Options menu. But I
use the emacs bindings almost exclusively. Just needs a bit of practice.
What's really weird is copying text in emacs using M-w and pasting it
into another application using C-v. You sort of have to be
bilingual. :-)

"Learning GNU emacs" (O'Reilly books) can be useful for beginners. They
also publish a GNU Emacs pocket reference. There are also lots of free
web resources.

Cheers,

Simon.

> In short, emacs is very powerful but will probably appear complicated
> to new users.  There are ways around this and it is worth the effort
> to learn the key bindings if you use R frequently.
>
> --
> Brian J. Knaus
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Department of Botany and Plant Pathology
> Oregon State University
> 2082 Cordley Hall
> Corvallis, OR 97331-2902
> http://oregonstate.edu/~knausb
>

> Quoting Gavin Simpson <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 07:36 -0700, Christian A. Parker wrote:
> >> I also like Tinn-R on a windows machine.
> >>
> >> But I have another question, Ive recently switched one of my computers
> >> over to Ubuntu (Linux). Currently I am just using Kate+Konsole and to be
> >> honest it works great accept for the lack a send lines command. So I was
> >> wondering if anyone out there knew of a sendlines mod for Kate
> >
> > Kate has the Pipe to console menu item, which works either by sending
> > the whole buffer or by sending the highlighted region. You can assign
> > this a shortcut under the Settings Menu > Configure Shortcuts..., find
> > the relevant command, click the image of the keyboard key and add in a
> > keyboard short cut of your choosing. Make sure you don't overwrite
> > anything useful - I just tried this with Alt+R.
> >
> > Now you can use (e.g.) Alt+R to pipe regions or the whole buffer to the
> > konsole running at the bottom of the screen. Just start R in the
> > embedded konsole first and it is read to be piped to.
> >
> >> or had
> >> some advice or knew of a tutorial for EMACS+ESS for the reluctant Tinn-R
> >> user?
> >
> > Personally I use Emacs+ESS on my Fedora boxes, but I still can't
> > remember how to copy/paste all the time using Emacs commands... so not
> > the best person to be providing advice.

> >> -Chris

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqsblomb
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 01:01 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> I have worked a lot with R on Linux (my old computer at work), FreeBSD
> (my current computer at work), windows (my laptop at home) and MacOSX
> (my wife's laptop). In all these platforms I've tried several editors:
> emacs, gvim, kate, crimson, tinn-R, nedit, jedit, and others. All of
> them are better or worse in particular points (gvim had the prettiest
> syntax highlighting for R), and surely have been improving with time.
> Still, the one that I found most convenient was emacs + ess,
> especially because I can work exactly the same way in all operating
> systems.

Another advantage of ESS+emacs is that you can use it to provide the
same interface for BUGS, JAGS, Stata, S-PLUS, among others. Even SAS (if
you must.) ESS is meant to be a "universal" interface to a large number
of statistical programming languages.

cheers,

Simon.