unequal sampling effort with the use of different sampling equipment

unequal sampling effort with the use of different sampling equipment

Belyaeva Anna
Dear all,

I have a question about unequal sampling effort with the use of different sampling equipment.
Before I got involved in this project, its sampling design was determined and has unequal sampling effort (different number of samples) with the use of sampling equipment, which has different sampling area. 35 sediment samples were taken from each lake: 25 samples from the profundal zone and 5 samples from each sublittoral and littoral zones. The corer was used to take profundal samples (16.61 cm2). PONAR was used to take sublittoral and littoral samples (sampling area of 231.04 cm2). I want to analyze if the number of sediment types differs between lake zones. What is the way to account for differences in sampling procedures? Is it appropriate to conduct regression of residuals or multiple regression on this data?

Sincerely,
Anna

Re: unequal sampling effort with the use of different sampling equipment

Roman Luštrik
This smells like a job for a mixed effects model. You could try lme4, for
example.

Cheers,
Roman

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Belyaeva Anna <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a question about unequal sampling effort with the use of different
> sampling equipment.
> Before I got involved in this project, its sampling design was determined
> and has unequal sampling effort (different number of samples) with the use
> of sampling equipment, which has different sampling area. 35 sediment
> samples were taken from each lake: 25 samples from the profundal zone and 5
> samples from each sublittoral and littoral zones. The corer was used to
> take profundal samples (16.61 cm2). PONAR was used to take sublittoral and
> littoral samples (sampling area of 231.04 cm2). I want to analyze if the
> number of sediment types differs between lake zones. What is the way to
> account for differences in sampling procedures? Is it appropriate to
> conduct regression of residuals or multiple regression on this data?
>
> Sincerely,
> Anna

In God we trust, all others bring data.